Thursday, July 10, 2008

Crossfit? is it for me

So I just got back from my first CrossFit workout ever... all I'll say is that its a really intense workout in a very short period of time. I guess thats good because it saves time, helps you develop explosive power by developing the core and the base/legs + I think its keeps you burning calories way after the workout.

I went down to Level4 Crossfit off Leary Way in Ballard where Sean (who is an ultra marathoner!) gave me a free first lesson. We worked on proper form for squats and deadlifts followed by a workout that included 3 repetitions of the following

1) 5oo m of rowing on a concept 2 rower
2) 11 basic lifts (30KG)
3) 21 box jumps

My 500m rowing time is 2:05, but I did the first one in under 2... I tried the same in the second set due to which I ran out of steam. I did pace myself the 3rd time and did it in around 2:10 and completed the 3rd rep more comfortably in 12 min, which Sean said was decent. The best time is around 8 min while people take up to 15 min as well. So I guess Im somewhere in the middle of the bunch :)

There were other people there too who were doing box jumps etc... the advanced min-group was was doing insane 4 ft high standing box jumps! There were some seriously fit people there, including one of the other instructors, Fran who was one of the people in the advanced group (duh!). I also found this pretty cool article she wrote on losing 20 lbs, which you may find useful

CrossFit looks pretty exciting and it should be really good for my tennis game as it develops that elusive explosive power. Im definitely going to sign up, I think!

Or maybe not, heh... I just found this, and I dont want to be this guy :D





1 comment:

Unknown said...

O-Quoa! :D
I found out there are two east side Crossfit gyms, one in Bellevue and one in Redmond... the one in Bellevue is a second branch of the one in Greenlake, I think the greenlake one is good for me. Can train at the Bellevue location during weekdays and the one in Greenlake during weekend!