Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Dadi

Once again, its been a while since I posted.. I just hope it doesnt become a recurring theme. Unfortunately I have some sad news to share. My dadi (Urdu for paternal grandmother) passed away last weekend after fighting cancer. Being here, so far from my family is difficult because I know that I cant be there to help and share their grief and sense of loss. A person's passing away creates an unimaginable void - simply being there helps. So while I couldnt be there physically, I have been praying for her from here, in Seattle and I ask you to do the same.

My dadi was a true fighter. This was the 3rd time in a few years that the cancer came back. While she saw her grandson and her younger son (my uncle) succumb to the same disease during her lifetime - she fought it each time. The strength of her will and positive attitude was and still is a source of inspiration. Her will seemed to grow as she fought the cancer each time, but it did sap her physical strength and she got too weak with time. I was lucky that I did get to spend some time with her in April/May before the latest occurrence was detected. At the time she was in good physical and mental spirits, enjoying my company. I consider myself extremely lucky to have spent the time I did with her.

May Allah Bless her soul.

No comments: